Camp Counselors have the opportunity to make an impact on our campers as well as to help them understand and love science!
- Keep an accurate record of daily attendance, including camper release information; assist with camper check-in and check-out
- Assist Science Educators with materials preparation and room/activity set-up
- Supervise campers during lessons and activities; assist with the facilitation of demonstrations and activities
- Supervise campers during their lunch break
- Escort campers to different meeting points
- Comfort homesick and/or unhappy campers
- Clean (sweep, wash dishes/materials, wipe tables, etc.) at the end of the session
- Wear proper attire, which includes a Fleet t-shirt (we provide one for you) with any type of pants/skirts/shorts. Denim is permitted as long as it is clean and in good condition. Shorts and skirts must be no more than two inches above knee. Comfortable, closed-toe shoes are required.
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with a background or interest in science and/or education
- Able to remain friendly, positive and respectful in a stressful environment
- Very reliable, honest and punctual
- Possess effective communication skills that demonstrate appropriate tact and diplomacy
- Able to handle multiple functions effectively, in varying environments (outdoor, indoor, noisy, crowded, quiet, etc.)
- Patient with children of all ages and abilities
- Comfortable interacting with people you don’t know, or interest in gaining this skill
- Able to lift 10 pounds, on occasion
- Present a professional appearance
- 14 years old (in high school) or older
Counselors must select at least 6 Half day camps to participate in. Shifts are scheduled Monday-Friday from 8:00-1:00 (AM) and 12:00-5:00 (PM) or 8:00am-5:00pm (Full Day). Limited Full Day camp options are available.
Camp Counselors must be available for all five days of their assigned camp weeks.
For Winter and Spring camps, please send an email to inquire about available shifts.
The dates for Summer camp can be found on the Summer Camp Availability Form.
Camp counselors attend an Orientation and Training. The dates for upcoming trainings can be found on the Summer Camp Availability Form. Training is mandatory for all new and returning camp counselors.
Camp Counselor Impact
Camp Counselors play an integral part in the operations of the Fleet’s community programming. Volunteers also support the Fleet’s mission by helping to spark campers’ curiosity, excitement and interest in our many hands-on activities. Camp Counselors help facilitate an effective learning environment to enhance the campers’ understanding and enjoyment of science and technology.
- Complete the general, online volunteer application and specify if you are interested in Summer, Spring or Winter Camps.
- If you are interested in Summer Camps complete and return the Summer Camp Counselor Availability Form.