Camp Counselors have the opportunity to make an impact on our campers as well as to help them understand and love science!
- Keep an accurate record of daily attendance, including camper release information; assist with camper check-in and check-out
- Assist Science Educators with materials preparation and room/activity set-up
- Supervise campers during lessons and activities; assist with the facilitation of demonstrations and activities
- Supervise campers during their lunch break
- Escort campers to different meeting points
- Comfort homesick and/or unhappy campers
- Clean (sweep, wash dishes/materials, wipe tables, etc.) at the end of the session
- Wear proper attire, which includes a Fleet t-shirt (we provide one for you) with any type of pants/skirts/shorts. Denim is permitted as long as it is clean and in good condition. Shorts and skirts must be no more than two inches above knee. Comfortable, closed-toe shoes are required.
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with a background or interest in science and/or education
- Able to remain friendly, positive and respectful in a stressful environment
- Very reliable, honest and punctual
- Possess effective communication skills that demonstrate appropriate tact and diplomacy
- Able to handle multiple functions effectively, in varying environments (outdoor, indoor, noisy, crowded, quiet, etc.)
- Patient with children of all ages and abilities
- Comfortable interacting with people you don’t know, or interest in gaining this skill
- Able to lift 10 pounds, on occasion
- Present a professional appearance
- 14 years old (in high school) or older
Camp Counselors must be available for all five days of their selected camp weeks.
There are two shift options AM: 8:00am-1:00pm or PM: 1:00pm-5:00pm. In some occasions, participating in the Full Day of camps is allowed: 8:00am-5:00pm.
We ask that Camp Counselors commit to at least three half day camps within a calendar year. This can be done in combination of Summer, Winter and Spring camps. Campers use our online scheduling portal to self-select for shifts!
Once a camp counselor reaches 80 hours of service time, they can request a service verification. No verifications will be provided prior to meeting our minimum commitment, so please plan ahead!
All camp counselors attend an Orientation and Training. Camp schedules are not confirmed until the completion of orientation.
Camp Counselor Impact
Camp Counselors play an integral part in the operations of the Fleet’s community programming. Volunteers also support the Fleet’s mission by helping to spark campers’ curiosity, excitement and interest in our many hands-on activities. Camp Counselors help facilitate an effective learning environment to enhance the campers’ understanding and enjoyment of science and technology.
1. Mark your availability in the camp counselor application form. Please note that camp counselors participate in a full week of camp. You will have to select Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for the week/ weeks that you are interested in. Most weeks offer an AM shift and a PM shift; please maintain consistency while making your selections.
2. You will be contacted to schedule your interview, then once again for orientation.
3. Complete the Camp Counselor application form!