Department Assistants provide support in various departments depending on the volunteers' interest and experience. Positions are available in the following departments, but not limited to: Human Resources, Development/Membership, Marketing, Education, Multimedia Services, Information Systems, Volunteer Program, and Special Events.
- Perform various administrative and clerical duties particular to the respective department
- Perform research projects
- Help maintain department’s administrative files
- Support internal and external communications projects
- Other duties, as assigned and based on the needs of individual departments
- Reliable, punctual, honest and friendly
- Demonstrate careful attention to details
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Interest in interacting with people from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Comfortable working independently
- Present a professional appearance
- Excellent communication skills and can act with diplomacy and tact
- Prior office experience, or interest in gaining related skills
Department Assistants are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months, with three or more hours of service per week between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Department Assistants receive on-the-job training based on individual projects in which they may be asked to participate.
Department Assistant Impact
With the support of Department Assistants and their work behind the scenes, we are better able to meet the Fleet’s mission, achieve strategic goals and maximize the visitor experience. Department Assistants help support the facilitation of an environment that enhances the public understanding and enjoyment of science and technology.