WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION. THIS POSITION IS NOT OPEN FOR RECRUITMENT.
General Job Description:
The Education Assistant supports the Fleet Mission Statement and Visitor Experience Philosophy by providing customer service and support for educational programming. Performs administrative duties related to education programs and preparing for education department programs and activities.
Reports to: Director of Education
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Handle Education Department administrative duties, including phone inquiries, contacting participants, organizing files, maintaining and distributing records and paperwork, making copies, taking minutes, reserving rooms, operating A/V equipment and creating work orders.
- Work with the Client Services Department to maintain accurate enrollment records of various education programs (including camps, Saturday Science Club for Girls, Young Scientists, etc.) for rosters, accounting and attendance reports.
- Maintain, order and restock inventory of office supplies.
- Submit volunteer requests and coordinate projects on an as-needed basis.
- Submit multimedia services requests to create program flyers and signage on an as-needed basis, and ensure that flyers are stocked in locations throughout the building.
- Obtain education program attendance figures from various sources and people to update the Executive Director’s Report (EDR), as well as use Excel to organize the data into graphs.
- Maintain attendance reports and contact lists (including Seniors, Saturday Science Club for Girls, Preschool Programs, etc.) for Education department marketing purposes.
- Review and maintain a good knowledge of the Education Department programs and goals.
- Collect and log program evaluations.
- Assist with weekend and evening programming as needed.
- Complete all other duties as assigned.
Tools and equipment used to perform this position: computer, telephone, typewriter, copy machine, A/V equipment.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job, applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- 1 year office experience, including computer experience and experience answering phones, giving information to callers, and taking messages.
- Knowledge of our educational programs preferred.
- Experience working with children and parents preferred.
- Ability to handle multiple functions.
- Ability to communicate verbally in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to perform mathematical operations as needed for position.
- Ability to type approximately 40 wpm.
- Knowledge of personal computer programs, e-mail systems, fax machines, and photo copier.
- Must have access to reliable transportation and be able to provide proof of a valid California Driver's License and current insurance.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Sedentary Work: Position involves sitting most of the time. Standing and walking are required occasionally. Position requires ability to exert minimal force of up to 30 pounds occasionally and minimal force to carry, lift, push, and otherwise move objects frequently.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|N||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||Y||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||Y||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||N||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||N||Climbing|
|Y||Carrying 11-20 lbs occasionally||Y||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||N||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||Y||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||N||Shoulder mobility|
|Y||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|N||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|N||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||N||Dust or Fumes|
|N||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||N||Possible burns|
|N||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||N||Wet areas|
Persons who wish to be considered for this job must submit the following documents to Human Resources.
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Employment Application
To: Human Resources Department (EA 14-0205REF)
Fleet Science Center
P.O. Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
Or, via email to: email@example.com with "Education Assistant (EA 14-0205REF)" in the subject line.
Or by fax at 619-685-5771.
Please reference where you learned about position using the appropriate job code or by naming the source.
Please send resume in a format readable by Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe Reader (.pdf).
*** Please note: our firewall blocks all emails containing .zip file attachments. ***
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS REGARDING APPLICATION STATUS. Due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to respond to inquiries.
The Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.