Education Manager of School Programs
THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER OPEN. WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.
General Job Description:
The Fleet Science Center’s Education Manager of School Programs supports the Fleet Mission Statement and Visitor Experience Philosophy by developing and managing educational programming designed for school outreach and after-school programs, workshops, and teacher programs. This position will also be responsible for working with educators in-house to develop curricula for all off-site and in-house school education programs. This position will also supervise, train, coach, and develop a team of educators, volunteers and interns and collaborate with other departments to achieve mission goals and objectives.
Selected candidate must be available to work evenings and weekends as required..
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Develop curricula and coordinate and supervise educators for outreach and workshop programs to area schools, including Family Science Night programs.
- Ensure that educators are scheduled for each education program offered. Teach workshops if presenters are unavailable.
- Interviews, selects, trains, develops, evaluates and supervises program staff including: employees, interns and volunteer personnel.
- Coordinate all aspects of the Fleet’s after school programs, including scheduling classes, recruiting guest speakers, evaluating, maintaining records, incorporating technology, ensuring grant compliance and working with Fleet educators to develop curricula.
- Act as the Science Center representative for the School in the Park program and preside over all necessary teaching and administrative duties associated with the program.
- Ensure that educators complete weekly confirmation calls to outreach and workshop school groups scheduled.
- Responsible for program staff payroll related timekeeping records, including accurate and timely data entry, corrections and approvals per payroll procedures and policies.
- Oversee organization of Learning Labs 1 and 2, maintain current inventory of supplies and equipment, purchase and restock those materials when necessary. Schedule classroom clean-up days as needed.
- Develop curricula and related guides for field trip workshops, exhibits, theater programs, and other programs.
- Develop activities, order, purchase and assemble materials for education programming.
- Assist with educator professional development workshops and other teacher-related events.
- Work weekend and occasional evening functions as required.
- Remain current on all science, math, and other related disciplines: Standards, Frameworks, etc.
- Oversee and ensure a safe work environment is being provided at all times and that proper protocol and safety procedures are being followed by Education programs team both in-house and at remote locations. In addition maintain knowledge of all Fleet-wide safety and emergency evacuation procedures.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job; applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or Science and/or valid CA teaching credential
- One to three years of experience utilizing the following skills: lesson plans, knowledge of elementary science, knowledge of educational techniques and materials
- Proven staff leadership and community partnership-building skills required
- Demonstrated local education community knowledge and experience preferred
- Proven ability to plan, train, and mentor staff and set priorities to direct others in the maintenance of established high standards of work production and ethics
- Must possess a professional, positive, “can-do” demeanor and be able to adapt to ever-changing conditions while exhibiting exceptional interpersonal skills and diplomacy
- Strong verbal communications skills with an emphasis on public speaking and presenting information about programs in an understandable and compelling fashion as well as a demonstrated ability to write clearly
- Ability to organize time effectively and manage a large number of tasks simultaneously
- Understanding of multiple teaching and learning theories and models, helpful and preferred
- Exceptional analytical skills and the ability to work effectively with abstract ideas and intellectual leaders
- Intermediate computer skills required (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated attention to detail and follow-through required
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a diverse team environment
- Availability to work occasional nights, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Proficient mathematical skills required in order to perform budgeting and payroll responsibilities
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish preferred
- Must have access to reliable transportation and be able to provide proof of a valid California Driver's License and current insurance
Please note: Final applicants may be tested on their Microsoft Office computer skills and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading and mathematical skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Medium Work: Position involves sitting some of the time. Standing and walking are required. Position requires ability to exert minimal force of up to 10 pounds occasionally and minimal force to carry, lift, push, and otherwise move objects frequently.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|Y||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||Y||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||Y||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||Y||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||Y||Climbing|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||Y||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||N||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||Y||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||Y||Shoulder mobility|
|Y||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking||N||occasionally up to 100 pounds of force to move objects|
|Y||Carrying 11-20 lbs occasionally||Y||Travel|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|N||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||Y||Dust or Fumes|
|Y||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||Y||Possible burns|
|N||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||N||Wet areas|