Education Programs Volunteer
Education Programs Volunteers assist Science Educators with the Fleet’s educational programs and events. Education Program Volunteers assist educators with workshop/event preparations and activities. Volunteers also help supervise workshop students.
- Assist Education Department staff with preparation of materials and set-up of activity areas
- Assist with the break-down of the workshop activities, including cleaning activity areas (sweep, wash dishes/materials, wipe tables, etc.) at the end of session
- Assist educators with facilitation of hands-on science activities
- Project a positive, friendly and helpful demeanor while working with students, instructors and parents
- Work effectively with children ranging from ages 3 to 13, as well as with adults
- Be knowledgeable of safety and emergency procedures
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions, theater shows and events
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with a background and interest in science and/or education
- Very reliable, honest, friendly and punctual
- Desire to work with children and adult visitors from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Previous experience teaching or working with children
- An effective communicator, showing appropriate tact and diplomacy
- Comfortable interacting with people you don’t know, or interest in gaining this skill
- Present a professional appearance
- Able to handle multiple functions effectively, in varying environments (outdoor, indoor, noisy, crowded, quiet, etc.)
Volunteers are asked for a minimum service commitment of 80 hours. Volunteer when you can!
All volunteers participate in the “Orientation and Training.” Education Programs Volunteers receive on-the-job training and instructions as they start their first shifts.
Education Programs Volunteer Impact
Education Programs Volunteers play an integral part in the operations of the Fleet’s community programming. Volunteers also support the Fleet’s mission by helping to spark visitors curiosity, excitement and interest in our many hands-on activities. Education Program Volunteers help facilitate an effective learning environment to enhance the visitors understanding and enjoyment of science and technology.