Event Ambassadors assist the Fleet’s Special Events staff with the set-up for events and act as hosts during them. Special events may be coordinated by the Fleet or by others renting our venue space, and may include: IMAX® film premiers; corporate and media events; weddings, birthdays and other celebrations; trade shows; and, school dances, to name a few.
- Assist with day-of event preparations, including decorations, food preparation and other light set-up
- Assist with guest check-in and registration
- Direct guests to various event locations around the Fleet; answer general guest inquiries
- Monitor galleries, as well as guest behavior for safety and proper exhibit usage
- Other duties as requested by the Senior Sales Manager and Special Events Coordinator
- Be knowledgeable about safety and emergency procedures
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions, theater shows and events
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly
- An interest in hospitality, customer service and/or event planning
- Present a professional appearance
- Reliable, punctual, honest and friendly
- Desire to interact with staff and guests from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Excellent communication skills and can act with diplomacy and tact
- Able to move through galleries for long periods of time without a space to sit
- Able to succeed in a sometimes crowded, noisy environment
- May have previous event planning, hospitality or catering experience
- Minimum age: 17
Volunteers are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months, with two or more shifts per month, as shifts are available. Note: most Event Ambassador shifts are in the evening or on the weekend.
All volunteers participate in the “New Volunteer Orientation.” Event Ambassadors receive on-the-job training and instructions as they start their first shifts.
Event Ambassador Impact
Event Ambassadors play an integral part in Fleet operations by providing a friendly, welcoming environment, where guests can enjoy the science center setting, explore science and technology topics and create a unique memory. Event Ambassadors also help with special events that bring in revenue and publicity for the Fleet, a nonprofit organization.