THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER OPEN. WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.
General Job Description:
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center seeks to inspire life-long learning by furthering the public's understanding and enjoyment of science and technology.
Under the general direction of the Exhibits Director, the Exhibit Technician is responsible for daily operations of over 20,000 square feet of Science Center galleries specifically related to the maintenance and repair of a wide variety of interactive science exhibits.
Reports to: Exhibits Director
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
1. Work under the direction of the Exhibits Director to accomplish exhibit repairs or to replace facility equipment.
2. Initiate and coordinate repairs and maintenance for all exhibits.
3. Coordinate the set-up and takedown of traveling exhibitions. Arrange for trucks, lifts and staff to handle installation and de-installations.
4. Review contracts and work-orders for information needed to ready the gallery for incoming exhibitions, events, and other activities. Provide drafting layouts of spaces for installation and de-installations as requested.
5. Monitor current exhibits on the floor for maintenance and safety; assist in developing plans for moving exhibits for special events, etc.
6. Monitor and ensure the appearance and cleanliness of the Fleet’s exhibit spaces.
7. Maintain log of all exhibit maintenance and repair work.
8. Create reports, diagrams, and specifications as requested related exhibits and floor layouts.
9. Responsible for routine and non-routine tasks and other duties as directed by Supervisor.
10. Must maintain current knowledge and abide by all safety rules and regulations as well as emergency plan manual procedures.
11. Attend employee training program and other trainings and meetings as directed.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job; applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
• Strong understanding and knowledge of electrical, mechanical, audio/visual, computer hardware, and systems.
• Previous experience successfully repairing electronics, displays, exhibits, and/or other mechanical and computer technology and devices, preferred.
• Proven ability to utilize and work safely with a variety of bench and hand tools.
• Proven ability to multi-task effectively, determine priorities and meet deadlines.
• Proven organizational, recordkeeping and inventory management skills.
• Proven ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
• Must have basic to intermediate computer of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook). Turbo AutoCAD experience is a plus.
• Proven ability to communicate verbally in person, on the telephone, and in writing, effectively and professionally.
• Proven ability to perform mathematical operations as needed for position.
• Proven ability to handle multiple functions.
• Knowledge and keen interest in science related topics a plus.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and insurance.
• Must have a high school diploma or GED.
Please note final applicants may be tested on their Microsoft Office computer skills and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading and mathematical skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Medium Work: Position involves ability to frequently or constantly exert up to 20 pounds of force and occasionally exert up to 50 pounds of force to move objects.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|Y||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|Y||Legs and arms (ladder)||Y||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||Y||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||Y||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||Y||Climbing|
|Y||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||Y||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||Y||Legs only (stairs)|
|Y||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||Y||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||Y||Shoulder mobility|
|Y||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|Y||Hazardous machinery||Y||Vibration||Y||Dust or Fumes|
|N||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||Y||Possible burns|
|Y||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||N||Wet areas|
Persons who wish to be considered for this job must submit the following documents to Human Resources by: May 10, 2013.
Please submit the following:
1. COVER LETTER,
2. RESUME and
3. SALARY REQUIREMENTS OR HISTORY to:
Human Resources Department (ETECH 12-0419-13REF)
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
P.O. Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
or via email at:
email@example.com with "Exhibit Technician (ETECH 12-0419-13REF)" in the subject line.
Please send resume in a format readable by Microsoft Word 2003 (.doc) or Adobe Reader (.pdf).
*** Please note: our firewall blocks all emails containing .zip file attachments. ***
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NO PHONE CALLS please. Due to the high volume of calls we are unable to respond to inquiries.
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.