THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER OPEN. WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.
The Grants Specialist is primarily responsible for building, growing and maintaining an aggressive and strategic grants program to support the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center and its mission. Reporting to the Development Director, the Grants Specialist will identify and research funding opportunities, lead proposal development, design, and coordinate grant requests. This individual will be responsible for building relationships and networks with partners/funders in higher education, government, business and industry, local and national organization and in philanthropic foundations.
It will be the responsibility of this position to coordinate the development and submission of funding proposals, including writing and editing proposal narratives and supporting documentation. S/he will conduct background research and literature reviews in support of funding applications and/or presentations. This individual will work with staff to identify and build metrics and measurable outcomes into proposals for future grant evaluation and reporting. S/he will coordinate grant strategy meetings with Fleet leadership, grant timelines and associated tasks and maintain a calendar of submissions, deadlines and reports. In consultation with the Director of Development, the Grants Specialist will develop and present concrete plans for achieving goals and growing a robust grants program. The Grants Specialist will manage the cultivation and solicitation of new and existing funders including funding acknowledgment, and preparing and/or overseeing related reports.
The highly-skilled development professional will be able to craft funding proposals in a clear and compelling manner. Excellent writing, analytical and research skills are essential. S/he must be self-motivated; detail oriented, and highly organized and experienced using online databases to locate biographical, financial and philanthropic information. A high level of computer literacy is required including knowledge of research and development tools and databases. The Grants Specialist will be able to seek and synthesize information and communicate information in a compelling and succinct form. A solid understanding of budgets is required. Candidates must possess the ability to work well and thrive under pressure and deadlines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Managing the Fleet’s aggressive Grants program that includes developing and meeting realistic annual and campaign goals by planning and implementing grants strategies for the cultivation and solicitation of current and potential donors.
- In collaboration with the Grants Strategy Team, the Grant Specialist will identify opportunities, deadlines and match strategic goals of the Fleet with grant opportunities and partnerships for review.
- Developing case statements, written proposals and applications to government entities, foundations and other grant-making organizations and individuals, including acknowledgment of gifts through thank-you letters, phone calls and ongoing stewardship, etc.
- As a member of the development team, assisting with activities, functions and events to support department and organization goals.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the Director of Development.
Tools and equipment used to perform this position: PC computer system including Microsoft Office, Raisers Edge, telephone, fax and other basic office equipment.
Basic Selection Factors:
Applicants should meet these basic selection factors for consideration:
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience with a proven track record in writing and proposal development. Demonstrated experience in seeking and securing large grants in the government and foundation sectors is essential.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated fundraising ability
- Self-starter and able to determine priorities and meet deadlines.
- Must be computer literate and have ability to use Microsoft Office, Raisers Edge, and PowerPoint software programs and other research applications.
- Interest in Science and Education
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team environment and lead others through grants administration processes.
- Excellent ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to perform mathematical operations as needed for position.
Please note: final applicants may be tested on their computer software knowledge and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading or other job-related skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Sedentary Work: Position involves sitting most of the time. Standing and walking are required occasionally. Position requires ability to exert minimal force of up to 10 pounds occasionally and minimal force to carry, lift, push, and otherwise move objects frequently
Business Location Presence: This position requires physical presence at the business location during all assigned working hours in order to adequately perform all duties.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|N||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||N||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||Y||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||N||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||N||Climbing|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||Y||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||Y||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||N||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||N||Shoulder mobility|
|Y||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|N||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||N||Dust or Fumes|
|N||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||N||Possible burns|
|N||Electrical hazards||N||Noise||N||Wet areas|
Persons who wish to be considered for this job must submit the following documents to Human Resources.
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Salary requirement
- Employment Application
To: Human Resources Department (GSP 16-1008-13REF)
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
P.O. Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
Or, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with "Grant Specialist (GSP 16-1008-13REF)" in the subject line.
Please send resume in a format readable by Microsoft Word 2003 (.doc) or Adobe Reader (.pdf).
*** Please note: our firewall blocks all emails containing .zip file attachments. ***
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NO PHONE CALLS please. Due to the high volume of calls we are unable to respond to inquiries.
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.