Human Resources Manager
General Job Description:
Perform all duties related to human resources and personnel administration. Supervise recruitment and placement of applicants. Administer Company benefit plans and performance management system. Oversee payroll processing. Document and update significant Company personnel policies and procedures. Prepare annual personnel budget. Keep abreast of California and Federal employment law. Supervise Volunteer Programs and Training Manager.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Maintains and updates all personnel records using computerized database and all personnel files.
- Maintains and updates Employee Handbook. Distributes revisions to all staff at least annually. Ensures all staff receive revisions.
- Maintains and updates Employee Policies and Procedures manual. Writes new policies as required. Posts and distributes changes or amendments to Company policies.
- Coordinates the preparation of job descriptions for all employees.
- Assists terminating employees on Fleet Center insurance COBRA, Pension or TDA distribution form.
- Administers employee benefit plans, including Medical and Dental insurance, Life and AD&D Plans. Serves as liaison with brokers to renew health insurance policies annually.
- Ensures that the Fleet Center is in compliance with all Federal and State laws including FMLA, COBRA, FEHA, etc.
- Administers pension and TDA plans. Serves as the leader of the Fleet Center Pension Plan Committee.
- Prepares annual personnel budget using Microsoft Excel.
- Supervises payroll processing using specialized software.
- Manages the organization’s performance management system.
- Advises and assists management with development of performance appraisals and employee disciplinary actions.
- Coordinates recruiting and hiring for all positions. Ensures personnel requisition has been approved and posts open position via internal posting and on web site and career opportunity hotline. Places advertisements when required. Ensures appropriate procedures are followed for interviewing and reference checking. Responsible for insuring that appropriate background checks are performed.
- Responsible to be knowledgeable and inform staff of safety and emergency plan manual procedures.
- Supervises the Volunteer Programs and Training Manager.
- Various other duties as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
Tools and equipment used to perform this position: computer, telephone, copy machine, fax, office supplies.
Supervision, direction, or guidance provided for this position: Performs duties without supervision. Supervision required only to set priorities and review major employment decisions.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job, applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- Bachelors degree in Business or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years Human Resources generalist experience.
- Minimum of 1 year management experience.
- PHR Certification preferred.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of Federal and California employment law, benefit programs, payroll.
- Experience in Microsoft Office products including Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Experience with ADP software.
- Ability to multitask in a busy environment.
Please note: final applicants may be tested on their Microsoft Office computer skills and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading and mathematical skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Sedentary Work: Position involves sitting most of the time. Standing and walking are required occasionally. Position requires ability to exert minimal force of up to 10 pounds occasionally and minimal force to carry, push, and otherwise move objects frequently.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|N||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||N||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||N||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||N||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||N||Climbing|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||Y||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||N||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||N||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||N||Shoulder mobility|
|N||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|N||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|N||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||N||Dust or Fumes|
|N||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||N||Possible burns|
|N||Electrical hazards||N||Noise||N||Wet areas|
Persons who wish to be considered for this job must submit the following documents to Human Resources.
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Salary requirements
- Employment Application
To: Human Resources Department (HRM 19-0725-13REF)
Fleet Science Center
P.O. Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
Or, via email to: email@example.com with "Human Resources Manager (HRM 19-0725-13REF)" in the subject line.
Please send resume in a format readable by Microsoft Word 2003 (.doc) or Adobe Reader (.pdf).
*** Please note: our firewall blocks all emails containing .zip file attachments. ***
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NO PHONE CALLS please. Due to the high volume of calls we are unable to respond to inquiries.
The Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.