Information Systems Intern
Information Systems Interns provide support in the Information Systems (I.S.) Department to complete projects connected to the Fleet’s mission and strategic goals. Interns complete a variety of projects for departments throughout the Fleet.
- Install new software and customize to requirements
- Troubleshoot hardware issues and replace defective parts
- Install updates and patches on workstations
- Additional tasks and projects, as assigned
- College students, pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field; high school interns may also be considered
- General ability to assemble, troubleshoot, and repair PCs and associated equipment, and install new systems
- Experience in maintenance and configuration of LAN, associated PCs and printers, installation of new hardware and software and/or replacing of defective components
- Ability to problem solve, plan and organize with attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Reliable, punctual, honest and friendly
- Capable of working independently, as well as in a team environment
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, on occasion
- Minimum age: 16
Interns are asked for a minimum service commitment of 12 weeks, with 12 or more hours per week, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on weekdays. Shifts can be flexible to accommodate school schedule.
All interns participate in the Fleet’s orientation program. Interns also receive training based on individual projects in which they may be asked to participate.
I.S. Intern Impact
I.S. Interns play an integral part in the behind-the-scenes operations of the Fleet, enabling all departments to efficiently meet their goals—and the Fleet to achieve its mission—through the use of up-to-date, functioning technology.