Manager On Duty
THIS POSITION IS CLOSED. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.
General Job Description:
The Manager on Duty (MOD) is an assistant manager level position providing leadership and direct supervision for leads, cashiers, information desk volunteers and staff during assigned shifts. In this capacity the MOD will also provide limited supervision of café, store, and other frontline staff and volunteers when other frontline department managers are not present. MOD serves as the central point-of-contact for customer service, cash related requests, emergencies, general frontline staff guidance and other related duties as assigned. Must be available to work a schedule that will include weekends, evenings and holidays. Some late night, early morning and occasional overnight shifts may be required based upon special events and business needs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Must be knowledgeable of emergency plan at all times. It is the responsibility of the MOD to guide all staff and patrons to safety during evacuations and emergencies according to company policies and procedures. Also serves as the main contact during emergencies, contacting the proper authorities and maintaining proper communications in person, on the phone and over the radio. Communicates emergency situations to senior Fleet management via the phone or radio.
- MOD must be certified in CPR, AED and First Aid.
- MOD must have a complete working knowledge of the Fire Panel and the Fire Alarm, and Emergency System.
- Will respond to and resolve customer issues and complaints professionally, efficiently and in a timely manner.
- MOD will ensure that a high level of customer service is maintained and provided at all times by staff including self.
- Will ensure that all frontline staff members are knowledgeable of current films, educational programs, events and related special offers and pricing.
- Will work with the appropriate department heads to communicate any staff violations, which may lead to disciplinary actions.
- Will assist with selling tickets, memberships and other related Ticket Counter products as needed. Will serve as a cashier as required, or as is necessary.
- Responsible for accurately balancing cash drawers, deposits, safe and requests for change.
- Responsible for ensuring security procedures regarding cash handling, safe control and related items of value on behalf of the company and patrons as required.
- Responsible for summary and accuracy of payment reconciliation of Reports other related attendance counts and program totals as required or requested ensuring accuracy and timeliness. Completes and verifies deposits and related paperwork.
- As appropriate to shift, this position is responsible for disarming the security alarm upon opening the building or as needed.
- Conducts building walk-through procedures during closing shifts. Maintains security-minded procedures, noticing potential security issues and makes corrections/adjustments as needed. Reports problems and security breaches to appropriate department head for repair, replacement or corrective action.
- Monitors Public Address (PA) announcements for Theater show times, closing calls and other related public announcements as necessary. Ensures that announcements are made according to approved scripts both at the main entrance as well as the Theater entrance.
- Ensures that all frontline areas are adequately staffed based on business trends. Communicates employee absences and call-outs to the appropriate department head.
- Will be responsible for making decisions on late seating of patrons and timing of shows based on last-minute business trends, customer consideration and satisfaction.
- Must attend Employee Training Program and other trainings as directed.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
Tools and equipment used to perform this position: Public Address System, Ticketing System, PC, Cash Register, Printer, Telephone, Flashlight, Microsoft Office Software, Copier, walkie talkie (radio) and Fax.
Basic Selection Factors:
Applicants should meet these basic selection factors for consideration:
- One year experience in a leadership position which involved customer service, staff supervision, cash handling, preparing and reconciling detailed bank reports and bank deposit information.
- Knowledge of Balboa Park, San Diego Attractions, and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center extremely helpful.
- Knowledge of a computerized ticketing system helpful.
- Ability to read and effectively communicate in writing and verbally in order to make public announcements and convey information to patrons.
- Ability to work independently and lead others as required.
- Ability to prepare and understand relatively complex cash reports.
- Experience handling money, operating a cash register, and reviewing reports to calculate sales and labor expenses.
- Ability to perform mathematical operations as needed for position.
- Ability to perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- CPR/AED and first aid certification required
- High school diploma or equivalent required. College degree preferred.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills with strong ability to multi-task effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills required. Must be able to handle challenging issues with diplomacy and tact while maintaining company policies and procedures.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) preferred.
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
- Must be able to maintain focus during very busy periods.
Please note: final applicants may be tested on their computer software knowledge and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading or other job-related skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Medium Work: Position involves sitting, standing, and/or walking. Position requires ability to frequently exert up to 10 pounds of force to move objects and occasionally exert up to 20 pounds of force to move objects.
Business Location Presence: This position requires physical presence at the business location during all assigned working hours in order to adequately perform all duties.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|Y||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||Y||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||Y||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||Y||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||Y||Climbing|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||Y||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||Y||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||Y||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||N||Shoulder mobility|
|Y||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|N||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||N||Dust or Fumes|
|N||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||N||Possible burns|
|N||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||N||Wet areas|
Persons who wish to be considered for this job must submit the following documents to Human Resources.
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Employment Application
To: Human Resources Department (MOD 17-1126REF)
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
P.O. Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
Or, via email to: email@example.com with "Manager On Duty (MOD 17-1126REF)" in the subject line.
Please reference where you learned about position using the appropriate job code or by naming the source.
Please send resume in a format readable by Microsoft Word 2003 (.doc) or Adobe Reader (.pdf).
*** Please note: our firewall blocks all emails containing .zip file attachments. ***
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS REGARDING APPLICATION STATUS please. Due to the volume of applications, we are unable to respond to individual inquiries. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.