Museum Ambassadors are an integral part of the science center’s operations. They provide excellent visitor service and ensure that guests have an enjoyable experience at the Fleet. Ambassadors welcome and greet visitors, answer visitor questions, collect tickets, monitor theater shows and galleries, staff the information podium at the entrance, facilitate school groups, and help open and close the building.
- Greet and welcome visitors and groups, answering questions and informing them of Fleet rules, as required
- Check for appropriate tickets and membership cards
- Direct visitors to galleries and other key points of interest
- Assist with opening and closing procedures
- Monitor theater shows and galleries
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions, theater shows and events
- Be knowledgeable of safety and emergency procedures
- Offer general information about the Fleet, Balboa Park and San Diego
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with enthusiasm and interest in the Fleet Science Center
- Strong desire to interact with the public and assist guests from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Able to succeed in a sometimes crowded, noisy environment
- Comfortable working independently, as well as within a team environment
- Professional appearance
- Excellent communication skills and can act with diplomacy and tact
- Comfortable with public speaking, or interest in gaining this skill
Museum Ambassadors are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months, with 12 or more hours per month.
All volunteers participate in the “Orientation and Training.” Furthermore, Museum Ambassadors will be introduced into the Mentorship Program where they will shadow an experienced volunteer for a minimum of three shifts. Museum Ambassadors have 30 day's to complete the mentorship program.
Museum Ambassador Impact
Museum Ambassadors play a key role in opening our doors to the public 365 days of the year. Museum Ambassadors support our mission by helping to create the environment where visitors can learn about—and enjoy learning about—science and technology. They ensure that each visitor gets the most out of their day at the Fleet.