Robotics Team Member
Robotics Team Members interact with Fleet guests toward the goal of sparking curiosity, excitement and interest in robots and technology. Robotics Team Members operate “Professor Fleet” (our bikebot) and the “Fleet Flyer” (our AR Quadrotor Drone). Additional volunteer positions include: Team Mechanic, Robot Developer, and more.
- Talk with guests about what you are doing, exhibitions and events at the Fleet, and get them excited about science
- Answer basic robotic and/or exhibit questions
- Stay knowledgeable of current exhibitions, theater shows and events
- Be knowledgeable about safety and emergency procedures
- Monitor guest behavior for safety and proper exhibit usage
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with a background and interest in science and robotics
- Excited to take on the characteristics of Professor Fleet
- Desire to interact with children and adult visitors from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Comfortable learning short scripts
- Comfortable with remote control robots (or would be after training)
- Able to succeed in a sometimes crowded, noisy environment
- Able to move through galleries for long periods of time without a space to sit
- Present a professional appearance
- Comfortable with public speaking, or interest in gaining this skill
Volunteers are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months, with two or more shifts per month, as shifts are available. Shift runs from noon to 3:00 P.M. Additionally, volunteers must attend all training sessions.
All volunteers participate in the “New Volunteer Orientation.” Robotics Team Members attend two half-day Robotics Boot Camp Training sessions. Robotics Team Members also complete a self-guided exploration of Fleet exhibits over their first few shifts to get further oriented to our exhibitions and the content included.
Robotics Team Member Impact
Robotics Team Members play an integral part in the science center’s operations by helping ensure that guests have excellent and enjoyable experiences at the Fleet. They also support the Fleet’s mission by providing a friendly, welcoming environment where guests can learn about science and technology—particularly robotics—and have fun doing it.