Senior Science Educator
This position is closed. We are no longer accepting applications for this position!
General Job Description:
Teach Fleet workshops, outreach programs, School in the Park classes, summer camps, Birthday workshops, Girl/Boy Scout and other youth and adult programs and assist with developing curriculum for these programs. Teach and assist with developing curriculum for teacher professional development workshops.
Reports to: Education Managers
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Present Outreach Programs to area schools, which may include after-school programs.
- Present Fleet Workshops, Programs and educational activities in various formats to field trip students, adults, groups of teachers, children and the general public.
- Assist in creation, planning and implementation of new or existing Fleet programs for children, adults and teacher groups. This may include curriculum writing as needed.
- Assist with education department logistics, including, but not limited to: restocking and organizing outreach kits, care of educational tools and Fleet vehicles, sharing information about Fleet programs with schools and the general public and logging data.
- Provide exemplary customer service, including conducting weekly confirmation calls to scheduled outreach and workshop school groups, and handling questions, comments and/or complaints regarding education programs and events professionally and tactfully.
- Maintain timekeeping accuracy and meet timekeeping deadlines as established by department and the Fleet.
- Attend employee training programs and other trainings and meetings as directed.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
Tools and equipment used to perform this position: computers, printers, fax machines, copy machines, basic classroom equipment, outreach equipment, SmartBoards, and scientific equipment.
Supervision, direction, or guidance provided for this position: Performs duties with supervision of Education Manager but can function in classroom or in schools independently.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job, applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- Some college education required, bachelor’s degree in education or science preferred.
- Valid CA driver license.
- Experience teaching/leading school-aged children in hands-on science activities strongly preferred.
- Youth supervisory experience required.
- Applicable science content knowledge required.
- Experience presenting workshops for adults preferred.
- Museum and/or Challenger Learning Center experience is a plus.
- Must be available any of the seven days of the week for day or evening shifts, based on reservation schedule, or as needed.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate in front of a large group and direct a large group of students and/or adults.
- Ability to communicate verbally in person, on the telephone, and in writing with students and adults.
- Ability to handle multiple functions.
Please note: final applicants may be tested on their Microsoft Office computer skills and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading and mathematical skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Light Work: Position involves sitting, standing, and/or walking. Position requires ability to frequently exert up to 10 pounds of force to move objects and occasionally exert up to 20 pounds of force to move objects.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|Y||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||Y||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||Y||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||Y||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||N||Climbing|
|Y||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||Y||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||Y||Legs only (stairs)|
|Y||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||Y||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||Y||Shoulder mobility|
|Y||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|Y||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||Y||Dust or Fumes|
|Y||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||N||Possible burns|
|Y||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||Y||Wet areas|
Persons who wish to be considered for this job must submit the following documents to Human Resources.
Please submit the following:
1. Cover letter
3. Employment Application
To: Human Resources Department (SSE 14-1227REF)
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
P.O. Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
Or, via email to: email@example.com with "Senior Science Educator (SSE 14-1227REF)" in the subject line.
Please reference where you learned about position using the appropriate job code or by naming the source.
Please send resume in a format readable by Microsoft Word 2003 (.doc) or Adobe Reader (.pdf).
*** Please note: our firewall blocks all emails containing .zip file attachments. ***
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS REGARDING APPLICATION STATUS. Due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to respond to inquiries.
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.