Special Events Intern
Special Events Interns provide support in the Special Events Department to execute projects in furtherance of the Fleet’s mission and strategic goals. Special events may be coordinated by the Fleet or by others renting our venue space, and may include: IMAX® film premiers; corporate and media events; weddings, birthdays and other celebrations; trade shows; and, school dances, to name a few.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Special Events Coordinator and Senior Sales Manager, including research, drafting letters and memos, creating databases, taking phone calls and filing
- Perform word processing activities, including developing and formatting complex documents for Special Events Department clients
- Organize special event venues and inventory, including the Lecture Hall, Community Forum and basement storage area
- Attend Special Events meetings and assist in event logistics
- Make cold calls to potential clients and provide them with appropriate information
- Other duties, as assigned
- College students, pursuing a degree in Hospitality, Event/Meeting Planning or other related field
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Capable of preparing effective business correspondence
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrate outstanding attention to detail and follow-through
- Able to multi-task and maintain professional demeanor at all times
- Ability to make effective cold calls and answer basic questions about events at the Fleet
- Reliable, punctual, honest and friendly
- Interest in interacting with people from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Minimum age: 18
Interns are asked for a minimum service commitment of 12 weeks, with eight or more hours per week, and have availability to assist with events on certain evenings and weekends.
All interns participate in the Fleet’s orientation program. Interns also receive training based on individual projects in which they may be asked to participate.
Special Events Intern Impact
Special Events Interns play an integral part in Fleet operations by providing a friendly, welcoming environment for guests and clients. Interns also help with special events that bring in revenue and publicity for the Fleet, a nonprofit organization. Special Events Interns help create an environment where guests can enjoy the science center setting, explore science and technology topics and create a unique memory.