Summer Camp Counselor
Summer Camp Counselors work directly with students in our summer camp programs, ensuring that they have a fun and memorable learning experience. They provide support for our Science Educators and guidance to our campers.
- Keep an accurate record of daily attendance, including camper release information; assist with camper check-in and check-out
- Assist Science Educators with materials preparation and room/activity set-up
- Supervise campers during lessons and activities; assist with the facilitation of demonstrations and activities
- Supervise campers during their lunch break
- Escort campers to different meeting points
- Comfort homesick and/or unhappy campers
- Clean (sweep, wash dishes/materials, wipe tables, etc.) at the end of the session
- Wear proper attire, which includes a Fleet t-shirt (we provide one for you) with any type of pants/skirts/shorts. Denim is permitted as long as it is clean and in good condition. Shorts and skirts must be no more than two inches above knee. Comfortable, closed-toe shoes are required.
- Energetic, outgoing and friendly, with a background or interest in science and/or education
- Able to remain friendly, positive and respectful in a stressful environment
- Very reliable, honest and punctual
- Possess effective communication skills that demonstrate appropriate tact and diplomacy
- Able to handle multiple functions effectively, in varying environments (outdoor, indoor, noisy, crowded, quiet, etc.)
- Patient with children of all ages and abilities
- Comfortable interacting with people you don’t know, or interest in gaining this skill
- Able to lift 10 pounds, on occasion
- Present a professional appearance
- 14 years old (in high school) or older
Counselors must select 3 Full Day camps or 6 Half day camps to participate in. Shifts are scheduled Monday-Friday from 8:30-1:00 (AM) and 12:00-4:30 (PM) or 8:30am-4:30pm (Full Day). Summer Camp Counselors must be available for all five days of their assigned camp weeks.
Summer Camp counselors will have to attend a New Volunteer Orientation and Classroom Training as well as a special training with the Education Department. The dates for each training can be found on the Summer Camp application, you must select one date from each training offered. Training is mandatory for all new and returning camp counselors.
Summer Camp Counselor Impact
Summer Camp Counselors play an integral part in the operations of the Fleet’s community programming. Volunteers also support the Fleet’s mission by helping to spark campers’ curiosity, excitement and interest in our many hands-on activities. Summer Camp Counselors help facilitate an effective learning environment to enhance the campers’ understanding and enjoyment of science and technology.
- Complete the general, online volunteer application
- Complete and return the Summer Camp Counselor application