Volunteer Programs Assistant
Volunteer Programs Assistants provide support to the Volunteer Programs & Training Manager with administrative duties and coordination of the Fleet Science Center’s volunteer and intern programs.
- Maintain Volunteer Services e-mail account and respond to prospective volunteers
- Help maintain volunteer recruitment ads and online accounts, and assist with the expansion of outreach efforts for volunteers
- Update volunteer information in Volgistics database
- Perform research projects
- Help maintain department’s administrative files
- Support internal and external communications projects
- Develop and monitor volunteer rewards and recognition programs, including the Top Time Team, Star Checks, birthday cards and monthly Volunteer Spotlights
- Assist with recognition and other event projects, including light set-up, as needed
- Maintain orderliness of Volunteer Station
- Other duties, as assigned
- Reliable, punctual, honest and friendly
- Demonstrate careful attention to details
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Interest in assisting volunteers and interns from diverse backgrounds, being courteous, professional, patient and respectful at all times
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- Comfortable working independently
- Present a professional appearance
- Excellent communication skills and can act with diplomacy and tact
- Prior office experience, or interest in gaining related skills
Volunteer Programs Assistants are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months, with three or more hours of service per week between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Additionally, volunteers must attend all training sessions.
All volunteers participate in the “New Volunteer Orientation.” Volunteer Programs Assistants also receive on-the-job training based on individual projects in which they may be asked to participate.
Volunteer Programs Assistant Impact
Volunteer Programs Assistants play an integral part in the behind the scenes administrative operations of the Fleet. They support the many volunteers and interns who facilitate an environment that enhances the public understanding and enjoyment of science and technology. By supporting Fleet volunteers and interns and increasing their engagement, we are to better able to meet the Fleet’s mission and maximize the guest experience.