How to Apply
To get started simply follow these steps.
Step 1: Application.
Fill out our online application:
- For Teen Volunteers 15-17 years old
- For Adult Volunteers 18 years or older
- For Camp Counselors This is a year round program- Summer, Winter and Spring opportunities.
- Internship Program (only open to High School Students) This program is coming soon, stay tuned!
- Group Volunteers (Service Clubs, Community Organizations, Corporate Volunteers etc.)
Please note that if you are under the age of 18, you will be asked to submit two letters of reference and a parental consent form before being invited to an interview.
If you are 18 or over, you will be asked to submit a background check, all expenses covered by the Fleet.
Step 2: Group Interview.
We will review your application. The Fleet has a need for volunteers with weekend or evening availability- if you are able to take a weekly weekend or evening shift, please make sure that you specify this in your application. If there appears to be a match between your interests/skills, availability and our open positions, we will contact you for further information and/or invite you to sign up for an interview.
Step 3: Orientation and Training.
The successful interview candidates will be invited to attend an Orientation and Training. This is an orientation for new volunteers and Fleet staff together! Here you will learn more about the Fleet, meet many of our staff members and learn about how to get started in your new volunteer role.
Step 4: Background Check.
You must have a satisfactory record with no history of violent or sexual crimes or theft.
- We complete a thorough background check on all employees, volunteers and interns who are 18 years or older. This check includes county, state and federal criminal records and databases, as well as sexual offender registries.
Step 5: Mentorship and Visitor Experience Workshop
Your first three shifts will be with a volunteer mentor! We ask that volunteers complete these three shifts within 30 days. We also offer a Visitor Experience Workshop that all volunteers and staff must complete within 3 months of starting at the Fleet.
*Camp Counselors do not participate in the Mentorship Program or the Visitor Experience Workshop unless they choose to volunteer in another capacity at the Fleet.
Step 6: Volunteer!
Have you completed all the above steps? Now you are ready to start volunteering!
Let us know what days and shifts work for you to have a weekly set schedule or set your own schedule as you go.
Remember, we require a minimum commitment of 6 months/ 12 hours a month. Service verifications will only be issued after a minimum of 72 hours are completed. Please plan accordingly to make sure you reach 72 hours before needed service verification.
*Summer camp volunteers must complete at least 3 weeks of camp in order to receive service verification.