Café Team Member
General Job Description:
Café Team Members are responsible for a variety of duties within the Galileo’s Café, the food services department of The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. Café Team Members are generally a) Baristas, b) Cashiers, and c) Food Preparers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Customer Service: Team Members are responsible for assisting customers in a friendly and efficient manner with excellent customer service.
- Handling Customer Orders: the Team Member receives and fills the customer order and totals the sale on the cash register, receives payment and makes change.
- Cash Handling: responsibilities include maintaining an accurate drawer throughout the shift, giving change after each transaction, receiving payments, totaling register balance, completing closing paperwork, and bank deposits.
- Food Preparation: prepare food according to the recipe standards in place, cook food according to the standards, and package items for sale. Some food preparations items include sandwiches, salads, pizza, nachos, soups, pastries, hotdogs, pretzels, sodas, coffee, etc.
- Cleaning: “Clean As You Go” for each workstation; perform routine cleaning around the café surfaces, appliances, floors, patio area, etc; change trash as needed; complete detail cleaning projects as assigned; and perform routine maintenance of equipment as assigned.
- Rotating: responsible to rotate to different positions in the café from the counter to the tables on a frequent basis in order to keep all areas clean while being available to assistance customers. All Team Members work all positions under the direction of the Café Supervisor or Manager on that shift.
- Inventory: responsible for keeping track of current stock levels for all items in use and responsible for restocking when items daily to the desired par levels.
- Emergency Plan: responsible to be knowledgeable of the emergency plan procedures
- Health Standards: responsible to understand and maintain health standards regarding food preparation, storage, cleanliness, and other operations in the café.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job; applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- Six months food service experience and/or one-year cash handling experience in a retail or food service environment.
- Must possess excellent customer services skills.
- Ability to consistently assist customers in a friendly manner.
- Basic mathematical knowledge as needed for position.
- Ability to perform confidently and calmly in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven verbal communication skills.
- Must possess valid food handlers card or be able to obtain one within one month of hire.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Light Work: Position involves sitting, standing, and/or walking. Position requires ability to frequently exert up to 10 pounds of force to move objects and occasionally exert up to 20 pounds of force to move objects.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|Y||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||Y||Lifting 11-20 lbs daily|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||Y||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||N||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||N||Climbing|
|Y||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||N||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||Y||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||Y||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||Y||Shoulder mobility|
|Y||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|Y||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||N||Dust or Fumes|
|Y||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||Y||Possible burns|
|Y||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||Y||Wet areas|
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.