Visitor Services Associate
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.
General Job Description:
The Visitor Services Associate (VSA) supports the Fleet Mission and Visitor Experience Philosophy by greeting visitors, answering questions, and selling tickets and related items to visitors. Cheerfully addresses inquiries and/or problems that may arise with patrons with manager assistance, if needed.
This is a seasonal position with an expected end date of September 15, 2014.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Must acknowledge, smile and greet all visitors in a warm and welcoming manner immediately upon first encounter.
- Provide excellent customer service to visitors in a friendly, professional and efficient manner.
- Will respond to and resolve visitor issues and complaints according to protocol.
- Responsible for completing detailed reports, totaling sales and deposits, summarizing types of payments received, maintaining accuracy with regards to all forms of payment. Will comply with all transaction procedures and guidelines for cash handling, according to protocol.
- Will actively promote Fleet products and memberships, Balboa Park products and other related products and services. This includes but is not limited to offering the sale of a second show (when applicable) as required.
- Must stay current, read and comply with all Fleet-wide and department-wide policies, procedures and training. Stay current with discounts and promotions communicated through email or printed copy.
- Will report, process and log all lost and found items according to protocol.
- Responsible for completing checklists and Monitor Duties as directed by the supervisor.
- May be required to make decisions on late seating of visitors and the timing of shows if a supervisor is not available.
- Read and understand emergency plan and execute emergency evacuation procedures according to protocol.
- Attend Visitor Experience Training program and other meetings as directed by supervisor.
- Provide visitor service coverage at the entrance to the Galleries or at the Theater as directed by supervisor.
- Answer incoming calls at the ticket counter according to protocol. Serves as first point of contact in the absence of the main switchboard in the evening, weekends, holidays and anytime the offices are closed.
- Will provide additional support coverage of Reception as directed by the supervisor and will provide visitors accurate information over the phone and/or in person.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisors or management.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job; applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- Six months prior cash handling experience required. One year cash handling experience preferred.
- Prior customer service experience in a retail, entertainment attraction, or cultural institution preferred.
- Must possess strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must possess a professional, positive, “can-do” demeanor and be able to adapt to ever changing conditions while exhibiting exceptional interpersonal skills and diplomacy with guests and co-workers.
- Proven experience handling customer service issues/questions in a professional, timely, and efficient manner.
- Strong basic mathematical skills required for cash handling and reconciliation
- Ability to count change and balance a cash drawer accurately.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
- Ability to organize time effectively and manage a large number of tasks simultaneously
- Availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Knowledge of Balboa Park, San Diego attractions, and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center extremely helpful.
- Basic computer skills are required; knowledge of computerized ticketing system a plus.
- Can utilize good judgment when making decisions.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Available to work nights, weekend and holidays.
Please note final applicants may be tested on their Microsoft Office computer skills and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading and mathematical skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Light Work: Position involves sitting for extended periods of time. Position requires ability to frequently exert up to 10 pounds of force to move objects and occasionally exert up to 20 pounds of force to move objects.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|N||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||N||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||N||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||N||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||N||Climbing|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||N||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||N||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||N||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||N||Shoulder mobility|
|N||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking||N||occasionally up to 100 pounds of force to move objects|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs occasionally||N||Travel|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|N||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||N||Dust or Fumes|
|N||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||N||Possible burns|
|N||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||N||Wet areas|
Persons who wish to be considered for this job must submit the following documents to Human Resources.
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Employment Application
To: Human Resources Department (VSA 17-0321REF)
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
P.O. Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
Or, via email to: email@example.com with "Visitor Services Associate (VSA 17-0321REF)" in the subject line.
Please reference where you learned about position using the appropriate job code or by naming the source.
Please send documents in a format readable by Microsoft Word or Adobe Reader.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS REGARDING APPLICATION STATUS. Due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to respond to inquiries. Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.