- At The Fleet
Aventuras Salvajes En California (2000): Es una expedición virtual que te deslizara desde las montañas junto con snowboarders, girando por los aires de San Diego con skysurfers, nadando los océanos junto con las nutrias, excavando desde treinta metros...
The Discoverers [IMAX]Feel the Courage. Live the Adventure.This film will show as part of Senior Monday on Monday, Dec. 2, only. Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Daniel J. Boorstin, this stunning film relives some of mankind's greatest moments of discovery, including Magellan's expedition to find the...
Back for a limited run in December 2013! Encounter the wilds of California as you sky surf over San Diego at 150mph, ride down a 25-foot wave at Maverick’s, snowboard the Sierra’s highest peaks and drop 130 feet into the center of a giant Sequoia! From...
What you can't see is right before your eyes!Mysteries of the Unseen World provides you with an incredible look at things that are normally too slow, too fast, too small or too vast for the human eye to see. The film's innovative use of high-speed and time-lapse photography, electron microscopy and...
Technology Takes OffExplore aerodynamics and flight technology in the Fleet’s newest exhibition, On the Fly: Technology Takes Off. The exhibition features multiple daily performances by small-scale unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), complemented by interactive stations where...
The Instrument That Rocked the WorldStarting December 20th, the Fleet Science Center will ROCK you! The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is cranking science up to 11 this winter with the West Coast premiere of GUITAR: The Instrument That Rocked the World! Experience the guitar through...
Get Your Hands On ScienceOur Main Gallery exhibition combines some of our all-time favorites with exciting interactive exhibits from San Francisco’s Exploratorium. This collection features opportunities to explore mechanics, motion, math, hearing, electricity and many other...
Celebrate the Season at the FleetBalboa Park December Nights is the largest free community festival in San Diego. Come to Balboa Park and celebrate the holidays with lights, food, music and fun. The two-day extravaganza, Balboa Park's holiday gift to San Diego, features international...
A Live Concert Series Celebrating GUITARThe Fleet is ready to ROCK with our first-ever live concert series! Each show will feature: Two performances: an awesome opening act and a rockin' headliner Food for purchase from The French Gourmet Beer, wine and cocktails available at the no-...
An Early Morning Comet ISON CelebrationCOFFEE & COMETS is an early morning celebration for Comet ISON on Tuesday, November 26, at 5:30AM! This event has reached its registration capacity. SIGN UP FOR THE WAITLIST HERE Comet ISON has raised a lot of hope among skywatchers. The comet is...
The First Monday of Each MonthThe first Monday of every month, seniors 65 and better can enjoy the Science Center exhibits, a show in the Heikoff Giant Dome Theater and a lecture on the quietest day of the month for only $8! No coupons or additional discounts are accepted. The Fleet'...
The Science of ROCKOur next Science on the Rocks party is Thursday, January 23: The Science of ROCK! Our most recent party was on October 17. Look for pictures on our Science on the Rocks Facebook page soon. Didn't make it? Here's what you missed: Fall in love with...
Fleet volunteers and interns come from all different backgrounds, each with their own unique skills and expertise. What they have in common is their curiosity, love of learning, enthusiasm, and dedication to creating an excellent guest experience. In...
- Adult Programs
- Family Programs
- Youth Programs
- School Programs
- Outreach Programs
- Family Science Nights
- Guided Tours
- Nierman Challenger Learning Center
- IMAX Films
- Exhibit Galleries
- Home School Classes
- Special Events
- Teacher Guide
- Registration and Field Trip Policies
- Contact the Education Department
- Teacher Professional Development
- Nierman Challenger Learning Center
- Science Blog
- About Us
Guest Services Associate
THIS POSITION IS NO LONGER OPEN. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.
General Job Description:
Greet visitors, answer questions, and sell tickets and related items to visitors. Cheerfully addresses inquiries and/or problems that may arise with patrons with assistance of supervisor, if needed.
Please note that the above job description is not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities, including mental requirements of position:
- Must acknowledge, smile and greet all guests in a warm and welcoming manner immediately upon first encounter with guest.
- Provide excellent customer service to guests in a friendly, professional and efficient manner.
- Will respond to and resolve customer issues and complaints professionally, efficiently and in a timely manner and will elevate issues to appropriate supervisor when assistance is needed or required.
- Cash handling responsibilities include (but are not limited to) processing all guest transactions including purchases, refunds, comps, memberships, etc., as well as reconciliation duties such as totaling register balance, bank and cash deposits.
- Responsible to complete detailed reports, totaling sales and deposits, summarizing types of payments received and attendance figures.
- Will be consistent with maintaining accuracy with regards to all forms of payment, comp, and refund transactions.
- Will comply with all transaction procedures and guidelines for cash handling, shortage/overages limits, reconciliation, and other reporting requirements as directed by supervisor.
- Will provide information and sales services to guests in the entrance Rotunda by answering questions and suggesting the sale of related Fleet and Park products.
- Actively promote and up sell additional tickets, add-on shows, memberships, Balboa Park passports and other related products and services. This includes but is not limited to offering the sale of a second show (when applicable) is required.
- Must stay up-to-date and read, comprehend and comply with all Fleet-wide and department-wide policies, procedures, training, discount and promotional bulletins posted and/or communicated by other means to you on a daily work basis.
- Serves as liason between guests and the Manager-on-Duty (MOD) in the event of an emergency on evenings, weekends, holidays, and whenever administrative offices are closed.
- Will report, process and log all lost and found items per procedural guidelines.
- May be required to make decisions on late seating of guests and the timing of shows if a supervisor is not available.
- Read and understand emergency plan and execute emergency evacuation procedures for assigned zone.
- Attend employee training program and other trainings and meetings as directed.
- Make announcements using public address system as needed.
- Responsible to complete applicable checklists and monitors assigned areas/items as directed by supervisor.
- Provide customer service coverage at entrance to galleries or at and within the theater as directed by supervisor.
- Will provide additional support coverage of reception as directed by supervisor and will provide guests accurate information over the phone and/or in person.
- Availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Other duties as assigned by supervisors or management.
Basic Selection Factors:
To be considered qualified for the job; applicants should meet these basic selection factors:
- Six months prior cash handling experience required. One year cash handling experience preferred.
- Prior customer service experience in a retail, entertainment attraction, or cultural institution preferred.
- Must possess strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must possess a professional, positive, “can-do” demeanor and be able to adapt to ever changing conditions while exhibiting exceptional interpersonal skills and diplomacy with guests and co-workers.
- Proven experience handling customer service issues/questions in a professional, timely, and efficient manner.
- Strong basic mathematical skills required for cash handling and reconciliation
- Ability to count change and balance a cash drawer accurately.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
- Ability to organize time effectively and manage a large number of tasks simultaneously
- Availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- Knowledge of Balboa Park, San Diego attractions, and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center extremely helpful.
- Basic computer skills are required; knowledge of computerized ticketing system a plus.
- Can utilize good judgment when making decisions.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Please note final applicants may be tested on their Microsoft Office computer skills and may be asked to demonstrate writing, proofreading and mathematical skills.
To be considered for the job, applicants must be able to perform with reasonable accommodation, all physical & mental requirements of the position.
Light Work: Position involves sitting for extended periods of time. Position requires ability to frequently exert up to 10 pounds of force to move objects and occasionally exert up to 20 pounds of force to move objects.
The following activities indicated by a Y (YES) are used in performing the job.
|N||Balance||Y||Carrying 1-10 lbs daily|
|N||Legs and arms (ladder)||N||Lifting 11-20 lbs occasionally|
|Y||Right finger dexterity||N||Standing|
|Y||Working inside the building||N||Ability to push a wheelchair|
|Y||Working with others||N||Climbing|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs daily||N||Crouching|
|Y||Left finger dexterity||N||Legs only (stairs)|
|N||Lifting 21-50 lbs daily||N||Pulling|
|Y||Repetitive Motions||N||Shoulder mobility|
|N||Working outside the building||Y||Working alone|
|Y||Ability to spend entire shift standing and/or walking||N||occasionally up to 100 pounds of force to move objects|
|N||Carrying 11-20 lbs occasionally||N||Travel|
Does occupation involve exposure in these areas (yes or no)?
|N||Hazardous machinery||N||Vibration||N||Dust or Fumes|
|N||Cluttered floors||N||Poor ventilation||N||Possible burns|
|N||Electrical hazards||Y||Noise||N||Wet areas|
Persons who wish to be considered for this job must submit the following documents to Human Resources.
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Employment Application
To: Human Resources Department (GSA 1730-1008-13REF)
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
P.O. Box 33303
San Diego, CA 92163
Or, via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with "Guest Services Associate (GSA 1730-1008-13REF)" in the subject line.
Please send resume in a format readable by Microsoft Word 2003 (.doc) or Adobe Reader (.pdf).
*** Please note: our firewall blocks all emails containing .zip file attachments. ***
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NO PHONE CALLS please. Due to the high volume of calls we are unable to respond to inquiries.
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is an equal opportunity employer. The Science Center does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or any other protected status as provided by law.