Family Science Nights
Let us bring our science expertise to your school event! Family Science Night brings children, parents, and teachers together for hands-on science experiences in a fun atmosphere. These highly engaging events are held at your educational facility and provide standards-based science investigations for students and their families. Bilingual materials provided.
Times are flexible and must be scheduled two weeks in advance and are based on availability.
Making Reservations: We offer 2 ways to place your reservation request:
- Call our Client Services Dept: 619-238-1233 x806 (M-F, 8:30am - 4:30pm)
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Prices subject to change without notice. Maximum of 300 participants. Payment must be received two weeks in advance.
A mileage fee will be charged for schools located more than 30 miles round-trip from the Fleet Science Center.
The Fleet Science Center would like to thank the Motorola Foundation for their support of educational outreach programs and funding of the Fleet’s hybrid outreach vehicle.
What the Fleet provides for Family Science Nights:
- Materials for 10 interactive science investigations
- Two trained Fleet educators to provide support throughout the event
- 45-minute training for teachers and adult volunteers prior to start of event
What your school provides for Family Science Nights:
- A minimum of 10 adult volunteers to facilitate activities
- 11 tables (10 for the activities and 1 for sign-in)
- A large open room, such as a cafeteria or multi-purpose room
Choose from the following themes:
Behind the Magic
(1.5 hour) Grades K-6
You won’t believe your eyes as you uncover the science behind some favorite magic tricks. Parents and children work together to use magnetism, physics, air pressure, chemistry and much much more.
(1.5 hour) Grades K-8
Using hands-on investigations, participants explore a variety of scientific concepts, including air pressure, gravity, buoyancy, electricity, motion, sound and light.
(1.5 hour) Grades K-8
Participants explore hands-on activities based upon stars, galaxies, constellations, the solar system, planets, moons, asteroids, comets and space travel.