Solar Panels on the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
April 23, 2007
On April 23, 2007, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center unveiled a 10,000 sq. ft. solar panel system on the roof of the Science Center that generates up to 100 kW clean electricity for San Diego’s power grid.
- Solar panels – Kyocera KC175GT, nominal 175 watts output each (http://www.kyocerasolar.com/)
- 684 photovoltaic (PV) panels, each measuring 50.8 X 39 inches and weighing 35.3 lbs.
- The panels are organized into 5 sub arrays and 38 parallel strings, with 18 panels in each string
- System rating: 105.951 kWdc - 100.124 kWAC CEC
- Total weight of racking and panels: 38,509 lbs
- SunLink™ Racking system – panels are set at a 10 degree tilt to the south (http://www.sunlinkllc.com/jadworks/sunlink/jwsuite.nsf/sitewelcome/Home)
- Inverter – SatCom PowerGate model AE-100-60-PV (http://www.satcon.com/applications/solarpv.html)
- Web-based monitoring system - Fat Spaniel (http://www.fatspaniel.com/)
About the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center (“the Fleet”) is home to Southern California’s only IMAX® Dome Theater and 100+ hands-on science exhibits for all ages. Watch immersive giant-screen films in the Heikoff Dome Theater, featuring the world’s first NanoSeam™ Dome screen in an IMAX Theater. The Fleet is the first Giant Dome Theater in the country to share a digital planetarium with an IMAX Dome theater, following the recent installation of a new, state-of-the-art, giant dome screen digital GSX™ system from Global Immersion, which augments the existing IMAX® projector in the Heikoff Dome Theater with one of the most comprehensive and powerful full-dome experiences available today. The digital system not only enhances our planetarium capabilities but expands the possibilities for sustainable institutional programming that could include evening programming with cultural content of various kinds. Experience eight galleries of fun, interactive exhibits, including major traveling exhibitions. A hurricane simulator thrills visitors with gusts of wind up to 80 miles per hour. Enjoy sandwiches, salads and healthy treats in Galileo’s Café. Find unique educational toys and games, books, IMAX DVDs and more in the North Star Science Store. Located at 1875 El Prado, two blocks south of the San Diego Zoo on Park Blvd, the Fleet Science Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to furthering the public understanding and enjoyment of science and technology. For information regarding current admission prices, please call (619) 238-1233 or visit our website at www.rhfleet.org.
Public Relations Manager
Please contact us if you would like to be added to our media list to receive news updates via e-mail.
Video & B-Roll
B-roll of IMAX films, digital shows, and recent production footage of exhibits and galleries, is available on the Fleet Media DropBox! To access: Go to http://www.dropbox.com; Click on sign in; Use the email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Use the password: pr1973media; Go to the "RHF Public Relations" folder.