Solar Panels on the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
April 23, 2007
On April 23, 2007, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) and the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center unveiled a 10,000 sq. ft. solar panel system on the roof of the Science Center that generates up to 100 kW clean electricity for San Diego’s power grid.
- Solar panels – Kyocera KC175GT, nominal 175 watts output each (http://www.kyocerasolar.com/)
- 684 photovoltaic (PV) panels, each measuring 50.8 X 39 inches and weighing 35.3 lbs.
- The panels are organized into 5 sub arrays and 38 parallel strings, with 18 panels in each string
- System rating: 105.951 kWdc - 100.124 kWAC CEC
- Total weight of racking and panels: 38,509 lbs
- SunLink™ Racking system – panels are set at a 10 degree tilt to the south (http://www.sunlinkllc.com/jadworks/sunlink/jwsuite.nsf/sitewelcome/Home)
- Inverter – SatCom PowerGate model AE-100-60-PV (http://www.satcon.com/applications/solarpv.html)
- Web-based monitoring system - Fat Spaniel (http://www.fatspaniel.com/)
About the Fleet Science Center
The Fleet Science Center connects people of all ages to the possibilities and power of science to create a better future. At the science center, you can explore and investigate more than 100 interactive exhibits that pique your curiosity and become immersed in an IMAX film adventure that shows the wonders of the planet—and beyond—in the Eugene Heikoff and Marilyn Jacobs Heikoff Giant Dome Theater. For young science enthusiasts, the Fleet hosts school field trips, science workshops and educational camps. For adults, we offer events like Fleet Night of Science and community events, such as Two Scientists Walk Into a Bar. In the community, we provide free neighborhood science events weekly through 52 Weeks of Science. Teachers are encouraged to join our Teacher Partner Program and take advantage of our professional development opportunities. Additionally, at the Fleet Science Center, visitors will find unique educational toys and games, books, IMAX DVDs and more in the North Star Science Store, and pizzas, sandwiches, salads and healthy treats in Craveology. Located at 1875 El Prado, two blocks south of the San Diego Zoo on Park Blvd., the Fleet is San Diego’s science center. Science starts here and opens a world of possibility. For information regarding current admission prices, please call (619) 238-1233 or visit our website at fleetscience.org.