Fleet 40th Anniversary Trivia #1
Here at the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, we’re celebrating our fortieth anniversary. We thought that a smart way to get into a celebratory mood is through some Fleet trivia. See how many you get right, and find out if you are a Fleet Genius.
1. The Fleet bustles with lots of activity during the week. Do you know how many students participate in programs at the Fleet each school year?
2. Which interstellar villain visited the Fleet during a science fiction film festival here in 1981?
A. Darth Maul
B. Khan Noonien Singh
C. Darth Vader
3. The Bea Evenson Fountain has been the Fleet’s neighbor for almost forty years! Do you know what building the Fleet was originally scheduled to move into?
A. The Ford Building in Balboa Park, where the Air & Space Museum is now located
B. Golden Hall in downtown San Diego
C. The basement of the El Cortez Hotel in downtown San Diego
D. The House of Hospitality in Balboa Park, where the Prado restaurant is now located
4. The Fleet’s Heikoff Giant Dome Theater houses the world’s first IMAX Dome screen, offering audiences an impressive movie experience. How many feet in diameter do you think the Fleet’s IMAX Dome screen is?
A. 70 feet in diameter
B. 76 feet in diameter
C. 80 feet in diameter
D. 86 feet in diameter
5. What else is Reuben H. Fleet known for—other than bringing science to the hands of the public in 1973?
A. He was the first air mail pilot.
B. He was the first nuclear engineer.
C. He was the inventor of the microscope.
D. He was Albert Einstein’s best friend.
Were all your answers right? If so, you’ve earned bragging rights as a Fleet Genius! If not, maybe it’s time brush up on your Fleet knowledge by visiting the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center!