- At The Fleet
Aventuras Salvajes En California (2000): Es una expedición virtual que te deslizara desde las montañas junto con snowboarders, girando por los aires de San Diego con skysurfers, nadando los océanos junto con las nutrias, excavando desde treinta metros...
The Discoverers [IMAX]Feel the Courage. Live the Adventure.This film will show as part of Senior Monday on Monday, Dec. 2, only. Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Daniel J. Boorstin, this stunning film relives some of mankind's greatest moments of discovery, including Magellan's expedition to find the...
Back for a limited run in December 2013! Encounter the wilds of California as you sky surf over San Diego at 150mph, ride down a 25-foot wave at Maverick’s, snowboard the Sierra’s highest peaks and drop 130 feet into the center of a giant Sequoia! From...
What you can't see is right before your eyes!Mysteries of the Unseen World provides you with an incredible look at things that are normally too slow, too fast, too small or too vast for the human eye to see. The film's innovative use of high-speed and time-lapse photography, electron microscopy and...
Technology Takes OffExplore aerodynamics and flight technology in the Fleet’s newest exhibition, On the Fly: Technology Takes Off. The exhibition features multiple daily performances by small-scale unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), complemented by interactive stations where...
The Instrument That Rocked the WorldStarting December 20th, the Fleet Science Center will ROCK you! The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center is cranking science up to 11 this winter with the West Coast premiere of GUITAR: The Instrument That Rocked the World! Experience the guitar through...
Get Your Hands On ScienceOur Main Gallery exhibition combines some of our all-time favorites with exciting interactive exhibits from San Francisco’s Exploratorium. This collection features opportunities to explore mechanics, motion, math, hearing, electricity and many other...
Celebrate the Season at the FleetBalboa Park December Nights is the largest free community festival in San Diego. Come to Balboa Park and celebrate the holidays with lights, food, music and fun. The two-day extravaganza, Balboa Park's holiday gift to San Diego, features international...
A Live Concert Series Celebrating GUITARThe Fleet is ready to ROCK with our first-ever live concert series! Each show will feature: Two performances: an awesome opening act and a rockin' headliner Food for purchase from The French Gourmet Beer, wine and cocktails available at the no-...
An Early Morning Comet ISON CelebrationCOFFEE & COMETS is an early morning celebration for Comet ISON on Tuesday, November 26, at 5:30AM! This event has reached its registration capacity. SIGN UP FOR THE WAITLIST HERE Comet ISON has raised a lot of hope among skywatchers. The comet is...
The First Monday of Each MonthThe first Monday of every month, seniors 65 and better can enjoy the Science Center exhibits, a show in the Heikoff Giant Dome Theater and a lecture on the quietest day of the month for only $8! No coupons or additional discounts are accepted. The Fleet'...
The Science of ROCKOur next Science on the Rocks party is Thursday, January 23: The Science of ROCK! Our most recent party was on October 17. Look for pictures on our Science on the Rocks Facebook page soon. Didn't make it? Here's what you missed: Fall in love with...
Fleet volunteers and interns come from all different backgrounds, each with their own unique skills and expertise. What they have in common is their curiosity, love of learning, enthusiasm, and dedication to creating an excellent guest experience. In...
- Adult Programs
- Family Programs
- Youth Programs
- School Programs
- Outreach Programs
- Family Science Nights
- Guided Tours
- Nierman Challenger Learning Center
- IMAX Films
- Exhibit Galleries
- Home School Classes
- Special Events
- Teacher Guide
- Registration and Field Trip Policies
- Contact the Education Department
- Teacher Professional Development
- Nierman Challenger Learning Center
- Science Blog
- About Us
Fleet 40th Anniversary Trivia #3
Are you ready for another round of Reuben H. Fleet Science Center trivia? These next questions are sure to challenge your knowledge about the Fleet.
1. We began our building expansion program in 1998 to increase exhibition space and reduce energy and water consumption. In what year did the Fleet receive LEED Silver Certification for Existing Buildings?
2. The reopening of our Heikoff Giant Dome Theater in February 2012 was celebrated by screening the digital planetarium show Black Holes: The Other Side of Infinity. Do you know which Tony-nominated actor narrated the digital planetarium show?
A. Christopher Plummer
B. Liam Neeson
C. Sanaa Lathan
D. Christiane Noll
3. What permanent exhibition at the Fleet has hosted activities such as constructing mechanical toys from recycled materials and creating “digital bling” using colorful LED lights?
A. Exploration Bar
B. Kid City
C. Origins in Space
D. Tinkering Studio
4. The Fleet has 10,000 square feet of solar panels on its roof! These solar panels are owned and operated by San Diego Gas & Electric to add “green” electricity to San Diego’s power grid. Do you know how much electricity can be generated by the solar panels at peak production?
A. 100 kilowatts of electricity
B. 2010 kilowatts of electricity
C. 40 kilowatts of electricity
D. 500 kilowatts of electricity
5. The Fleet’s Heikoff Giant Dome Theater is known for showing amazing IMAX movies and planetarium shows. We also host a live planetarium show each month, presented by a local astronomer. Name the monthly planetarium show.
A. Stars Above
B. Planets, Stars, and Our Galaxy
C. Things That Go Bling in the Night
D. The Sky Tonight
How did you do this time? If you got all the answers right, call a friend and celebrate by watching an IMAX movie here at the Fleet. Don’t worry if you missed one or more. Come to the Fleet and visit us; we’re always happy to answer your questions.
Answer: 1. C, 2. B, 3. D, 4. A, 5. D