Science on the Rocks
Raise a glass for the next Science on the Rocks party!
The Science of Spirits: Craft Cocktails
Thursday, October 16, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
We’re stirring up the fun at our next party, The Science of Spirits: Craft Cocktails. We’ll tantalize you with sips and stories from San Diego's best bartenders and reveal the chemistry behind your favorite whistle-wetters. You'll enjoy sweet and savory food and drink samples, intriguing activities and fascinating chats with experts among the interactive exhibits of the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center.
- Be tempted by sinful sips from Twisted Manzanita Spirits, Old Harbor Distilling Co. and Ballast Point Brewing and Spirits.
- Sample bites courtesy of local restaurants. Try chicken wings from South Park Abbey, octopus salad from The Patio Restaurant Group, artisan bread by Sadie Rose Bakery, a mushroom phyllo purse from Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, octopus carpaccio from Glass Door and Southwestern Chicken Sliders by Terra American Bistro and Catering.
- Shake, stir and swizzle! Join Polite Provisions owner, Erick Castro, as he reveals the craft of cocktails and the elements that distinguish a handmade libation from a run-of-the-mill drink.
- Explore the distilling process with experts from Old Harbor Distilling Co., The Twisted Manzanita Spirits and Ballast Point Spirits. From ingredient selection to bottling the finished product, craft distilling combines art and technology to create pure cocktail pleasure.
- Join the Spirit Society for a special class and learn to make the perfect cocktail, courtesy of the expert bartenders from Polite Provisions. $15 for the 30-minute class—and students get to drink their creations.
- Get your Bond on. Local scientists delve into shaking vs. stirring and how those motions affect your cocktail.
- Investigate infusion! Bacon vodka? Cucumber gin? Local scientists dispel confusion and explain the art of infusion.
- Put on beer goggles and attempt to complete our sobriety tests.
- Learn the truth about proof. If a whiskey is 90 proof, what does that mean? Local scientists explain.
- Discover density. Local scientists challenge you to experiment with different liquid densities and how they affect cocktail mixing.
- Take it slow and make your own Super Slo-Mo Video, thanks to A Little Scene.
- Shake your groove thing to Engage Drumbeats by Dre, a dynamic DJ and drummer duo.
- And dive into DNA in our new exhibition, Genome: Unlocking Life’s Code.
Advance sales end at 4 p.m. the day of the event. Tickets at the door, if available, are $30 and $45, no discounts.
This event is open to savvy adults ages 21 and over only. I.D. is required. A cash bar features beer, wine and select cocktails. Tickets for this event are on sale now.
For up-to-the-minute party news, visit us on Facebook.
|We thank our event supporters:|
|We also thank our event partners:|