Teacher and School Info
2017 High Tech Fair
January 25, 2017—Student Parent Night (public event) 5 p.m.–8 p.m.
January 26, 2017—School Day Event (classroom field trips) 8 a.m.–2 p.m.
Balboa Park Activity Center, 2145 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA
Grades 7 – 12 Science and Technology teachers are encouraged to bring a class to High Tech Fair. Your students will enjoy seeing “real life” applications of what they are learning in the classroom.
What to Expect
School groups arrive in increments (pre-assigned) to ensure that each student is able to visit each booth easily and not miss any of the exciting exhibits. Exhibitors are encouraged to consider their audiences and include interactive activities that clearly explain their technologies and products. We strive to answer the question: “If I worked for your company, how would I be using Science / Technology / Engineering / Math in the course of my job?”
The Fleet Science Center will provide district bus transportation and substitute teacher reimbursement (application required) for local public schools, making attendance free of cost and removing many potential barriers to participation. Note that you must register in order to bring a class to the School Day Event on Thursday and you must complete the appropriate questions in order to be considered for transportation and/or teacher reimbursement.
How to Register
Complete this form to register for the School Day event on January 26, 2017. Note that requests for transportation and teacher reimbursement are not final until you have received confirmation from the Fleet Science Center. The registration form will remain open until full; after that time, schools will be put on a waitlist for participation and funds.
NOTE: Space is still available for participation, but all funds for substitute teachers and bus transportation have been allocated. Any further requests for funding will automatically be waitlisted.
After your registration is approved, you will be notified via email and connected to a staff member at the San Diego County Office of Education (SDCOE) to schedule an event arrival time. The Fleet Science Center gratefully acknowledges SDCOE's logistical support with bus transportation and asks all teachers to cooperate with the requests and recommendations of SDCOE staff.
If you are new to the fair, you are encouraged to attend the High Tech Fair Teacher Orientation on Wednesday, December 14, 2016, at 5 p.m. at the Balboa Park Activity Center.
Students should spend time preparing for their interactions with exhibitors prior to attending the High Tech Fair. A teacher information packet will be released prior to the Teacher Orientation in mid-December.
Approximately four weeks prior to High Tech Fair, exhibit descriptions and student preparation questions will be posted to this website. Companies will be grouped by industry into learning strands. Students are encouraged to select and research at least four companies from their assigned learning strand prior to their visit.
High Tech Fair Reimbursement Policy
- Only one bus per San Diego County public school is eligible for reimbursement. The Fleet Science Center reimburses for district-provided transportation only (at their district rate), not private companies. You are welcome to register for additional buses at your own expense.
- Schools must submit a transportation bill to the Fleet Science Center (via firstname.lastname@example.org) within four weeks of the event. Requests received after four weeks will not be honored.
- Schools that cancel their participation are responsible for any cancellation penalties imposed by the Transportation Department in their district.
Substitute Teacher Reimbursement
- Only one substitute teacher fee per San Diego County public school is eligible for reimbursement.
- Schools must submit a substitute teacher bill to the Fleet Science Center (via email@example.com) within four weeks of the event. Requests received after four weeks will not be honored.
- Schools that cancel their participation are responsible for any cancellation penalties associated with the substitute teacher.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.